The hat pattern that I was missing was in Alasdair Post-Quinn;'s Extreme Double-Knitting Book. I needed a third color, and raided my 6-ply sock yarn stash.
That led to designing another hat and 3 ear warmers.
I even finished the sewing by Christmas Eve, with the last minute hemming of pj pants for a granddaughter I had not been sure was coming in town for the holiday.
I started a baby sweater for my gift drawer drawer. Pattern and yarn have been waiting for months.
In a Christmas related search session (didn't find what I wanted), I found a skein of yarn that never made it to the yarn corral. It called to me: "Use me now, use me now!" Here are some steps to craziness;
- Find renegade yarn
- Look on Ravelry for a pattern using that weight and yardage
- Find one pattern, a hat, and it's an Elizabeth Zimmermann pattern which I own.
- Her instructions are very vague, so I used some Ravelry information.
- One hat is finished, and I've only used about 1/2 of the yarn.
- This is for charity, so I'm knitting another hat.
- The baby sweater is not likely to be finished this year.