Monday, November 3, 2008

October socks are finished

I must have been crazy to think that I could knit 3 pairs of socks and a sweater in one month. The sweater still grows, square by square. The orange socks were to be finished by midnight Oct. 31 for the challenge. I didn't make it. In reality, I had 3 more hours because the time deadline was Pacific time. I was too tired. I just needed the red rolled cuff at the top. I thought that the orange yarn had short yardage, only about 300 yds. so I worked on both socks in parallel. One from each end of the ball. The socks are toe up, and I just kept knitting. The pattern chart has a 1 1/2" repeat. The first stopping point was shorter than I like, so I kept on going. Legs are now 8" long!

The other socks were a birthday gift for daughter Jen. I used a pattern from my new Japanese books, but it really dosen't show up in pictures. Her birthday is 10/26, but I knew that I see her at the family Great Cookie Caper on November 2. Knit. knit. knit. The party is in Erie PA, 2 1/2 hours from our house. Knit, knit, knit. We got to the house, and she wasn't there Good! When she walked in, I had about 2 rows of toe to finish. Keep knitting. I showed my sister how I set toes up for Kitchener stitch, and worked that. I wanted to wrap the socks in fabric like Fleegle shows on her blog. Forgot the fabric, but the Caper is held at quilting daughter's house. Fabric was borrowed. Mission accomplished. Socks on the hoof!

Next project is a Christmas stocking.

Sewing project of the week was a tango dress for a customer involved in some sort of dance show. This is a one time thing for her which involved free dance lessons. The dress is black knit with purple sparkles. The skirt has 8 gores so it really flows and moves. I'll be cleaning glitter out of the shop for months, but the dress sure is pretty.

No comments: