Saturday, August 3, 2013

Thereby Hangs a Tail

I read a great book today by Spencer Quinn, called Thereby Hangs a Tail. It is the second book narrated by a lovable dog. Here are a few quotes: "We run a detective agency, me and Bernie, called the Little Detective Agency on account of Little being Bernie's last name. My name is Chet, pure and simple. Headquarters is our house on Mesquite Road.."

The story starts with Chet knowing beyond a doubt - "that this guy was the perp. I lunged forward and grabbed him by the pant leg. Case closed. The perp cried out in pain, a horrible, high-pitched sound that made me want to cover my ears. Too bad I can't do that, but no complaints - I'm happy the way I am (even if my ears don't match, something I found out about a while back but can't get into right now). The perp's noises went on and on and finally it hit me that maybe I had more than just his pan leg. That happened sometimes: my teeth are probably longer than yours and sharper too. What was that? Yes, the taste of blood. My mistake, but a very exciting on all the same."

The book is about a kidnapping, abduction, and murder. Another dog is involved.

One of my favorite parts involves Chet being offered a chew strip. "O probably didn't deserve another chew strip for a long, long while, like a day or two. At the same time, I felt this sudden breeze from behind me, surprisingly strong, and realized my tail was wagging."

My own dog is home from the kennel, where she stayed while the outside of the house was painted. I'm a bad Mommy. I brought her home and shortly after, left for work. She was not happy! Very soon, I came back to get my forgotten lunch and she really let me know how she felt. She scolded me and told me in no uncertain terms that she would be the best dog if only she could come along. She even grabbed my leg with both front paws as i left the second time. I'm a bad Mommy for not taking her to work





1

No comments: