Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tools of the Trade

I was thinking this morning about how many tools we have. Usually, they are small so we don't think much about them. Men have more power tools, expensive tools in large boxes, but we might have more tools. I realized that I use many different needles in my knitting projects. Here's what is in action right now.

Old needles
This cotton jacket is being knit on old aluminum tip circulars. (The close up photo is a little out of focus.) I now have one front piece finished and 4 1/2" of the second front. I forget how fast things knit up with large yarn and needles. This is a long term project, being worked from a sewing pattern. I'd like to wear it this Spring. We'll see.

Glass needles
Being 10" needles, I use them for small projects, usually knitting at home with them. They are Pyrex and have been dropped a couple of times, but they are warm to the hands and I don't want to tempt fate and break them. The project is a scarf from 2 balls of Noro Murano, obtained at a gift exchange.

Wooden Needles
I'm using part of a Knit Picks set of sock needles. They call these Harmony needles. They are made of different colors of wood bonded together and come in sets of 6. The sock needle set has 6 sizes of 6 needles, including all mm sizes from 2.0mm to 3.25 mm. The yarn is a sport weight sock yarn. the project is the last Christmas gift for 2009, gloves for youngest daughter with large hands. You may also see stitch markers marking thumb stitches. They are part of a set I made to mark repeats on a shawl.

Square needles
The sock project also has 7" aluminum dp needles for the cuff. The square needles are only 5". My favorite length is 6", but Kollage doesn't make square needles in that length. My Motley Jester sock legs are knit in strips and beaded at the joins. This is the second pair of leftovers socks I've knit recently and I like them. They might have become monster socks, warm but ugly. I might not wear them with Birks, since I ran out of grey on the toe, but there are lots of time when I don't wear sandals.

Crochet hooks
No pictures here, but the beads are being applied with one of two hooks. The larger hole beads fit a #10 hook, which picks up the yarn nicely. The smaller hole beads are applied with a #12 hook, which tends to split the yarn. No hurry on these socks, but I signed them up for the SKA January challenge on Ravelry, which means I should finish them by Feb. 28. That doesn't appear to be a problem.

I will do more tools posts in the future and probably do some with sewing tools. I must remember to take the camera to work for that.

No comments: