Sunday, May 25, 2008

I'm Done with Prom Dresses

Finally! I like to help the girls realize their dreams, but it is a lot of pressure to meet the deadlines. Things don't always go smoothly. The fabric isn't always the best for the dress they want. Some of this is a budget issue. These dresses are expensive and the price will go up for next year.

The burnt orange dress is trimmed with a line of gold sequin trim and sequins and bead are scattered on either side of the line of trim.

The red dress is very simple with rhinestones at the top edge and trimming the front. I made a tie-on cummerbund with very long tails. The girl was very slow to come in for fittings and I wasn't sure exactly where she wanted the hip band. This way she can adjust it herself.

Friday flowers
This time I'll show some things in my yard. I don't have a lot of flowers. I have lots of shade and I'm working on more shade plants. We do have annuals, but I'll show them later.

On one side of the front porch, we have these Rhododendrons. We have white ones on the other side, which bloom later. When we bought the house, the space was occupied with pine tress which have been decapitated to look like bushes.

This white bleeding heart plant is new this year. I had pink bleeding heart plants, but they didn't come back this year.

ABC-Along -J
This family photo was taken about 30 years ago. Besides me, there is J, J, J, J, J, J, and J. As you can see scouting was very big at our house. Adding together the years I spent in scouting as girl, and the years I spent as a parent, over 30 years of my life was spent in that pursuit. I enjoyed all of it, but when the last duaghter dropped out, I moved on to other things.

Another historical gathering of the clan occurred when I graduated from college in 1983. It appears that DH took this picture. I started back to college in 1976. There has been at least one family member in college since that time. When I graduated, out two oldest were in college. Several of them took time off and went back. One daughter waited a long time to start and is working in a field unrelated to her degree. Degree total from 6 of the 7 people pictured: Phd - 2 + abd, Masters -4, BA -6. Not bad! The youngest and her sister to her right both have PhDs in Psychology and teach at the college level. DS is working on his in Statistics. Finish date unknown. Other degrees are a MBA, BA in Fashion Merchandising and Business, BA in Studio Art.

I figured that I had gone to all of their graduations, They should come to mine.

Knitting is happening. TNNA swatches, socks for another Christmas sweater, and a sweater for me! I'll get some pictures of those this weekend. I'm still decompressing from the prom stuff.

No comments: